Monday, February 16, 2015

Happy President's Day.

My fellow Dogmericans--

Greetings and salutations.  If I seem more serious than usual, it is because today is President's Day, and I have decided to pay tribute to one of our greatest Presidents, Abraham Lincoln.  


 

He was known, of course, as "Honest Abe," and one of his most famous speeches was the Gettysburg Address, which begins as follows... 


Ahem.  Excuse me for a minute, I need to find an audience.


Ah, that's better.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all Dogs are created equal...

You can read the full text of his speech here.  I highly recommend it!

Who is your favorite President?





11 comments:

  1. Lincoln was a good president to honor, I think my vote is with Theodore Roosevelt, if it wasn't for him we might not have ever had the Teddy Bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of all Theodore Roosevelt's legacies, I think the Teddy Bear was the best :)

      Delete
  2. Hmmm... I think my first comment disappeared... Good costume Droop!! Did Abe really say that about dogs.... I thought he mentioned bears. I too like Ted E. Roosevelt... although Abe comes in a close second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know, as great as Abe was, he was still a politician, so he probably gave multiple versions of that speech...I'm sure he gave the same speech to an audience of Bears at some point :)

      Delete
    2. Abe probably gave all sorts of speeches. I have to admit... I do know that Roosevelt was behind the Ted E. Bear... but I don't think I've ever heard the complete story... maybe you could do a blog post on that... and educate us bears from the sticks!

      Delete
  3. My understanding is that Teddy Roosevelt was on a hunting trip and had a chance to shoot a bear, but spared its life...and when the press picked up the story, it led to the development of "Teddy's Bear."

    But then again, I'm not a bear, so I don't know. Perhaps Ajdin, Jerry, or Ben can help us with this?...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one great looking Hat Droopy! The story about the Teddy Bear is correct we think. Best not to tell stuffie Bears stories about H.U.N.T.I.N.G. bears...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you're probably right. At least that story had a happy ending though.

      Delete
    2. Good point, I know I get very sad when I hear about fox hunts, ughh makes me sick. I think your story of Teddy's Bear is correct.
      H.U.N.T.I.N.G.is a beary bad word in the stuffy vocabulary.

      Delete
  5. Beary interesting story. It's amazing how teddy bears have taken off since then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! I think they make up the majority of stuffies on Google. We dogs have some catching up to do. Represent!

      Delete