Sunday, October 9, 2016

An apple a day...


Hey, what's (yawn) up, dogs?  Today my human (yawn) woke me up early--way too doggone early--to go on another field trip.  She said the place could get crowded if we didn't go first thing in the morning.  

So, she bundled me into the car and we drove for about half an hour.  

Well, she drove...I napped.  And when I woke up, we were here...

It's an apple orchard!  Are we picking apples today? 

Here comes the wagon...
The staff gave us a crash course on picking apples. 

 "Redder is better!" they said.
 

Hmm.  I guess I'll have to ask my human for help with the "red" part, since dogs don't have the best color vision...

Oh hey, that looks like a really red apple, way up there.  Gonna need a ladder to reach it, though.


Here we go.  My human will hold the ladder steady while I climb up.  Kids, always make sure you have an adult to help you with this!

Oops.  Looks like that's not such a good apple after all.  Yecch!

We'll leave that one alone.  You know what they say..."One bad apple spoils the whole bin."

But that's okay...there are plenty more apples to choose from.  I mean, look at this tree.  It's just LOADED with fruit...
Here's a nice one!

I think we've got a nice little haul here.  An apple a day keeps the Dogtor away, so we should be set for  roughly 2 weeks!

Have you picked your own fruit before?  What kind was it?


 

8 comments:

  1. Nice! Well, we have a pear tree and a plum tree in the backyard, plus a neighbour's prune plum tree that hangs over our back fence. With pears it's a hold and twist method. But the tree is so big that we can only reach maybe 20% of the pears. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I remember now...your famous plum chutney! Do you ever make pear tarts or pies?

      Delete
  2. That looks like fun! Are you going to make any apple pies....Jerry is kind of curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drunk Fox here: How do you like them apples? Ha ha ha.


    I didn't know there was so many instructions on how to pick apples. We usually wait till the just fall off the tree and get them that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. honeycrisp is my favorite type of apple

    ReplyDelete