Monday, September 28, 2015

4H show--Fast cars, fruits and veggies

Hey, what's up, dogs?  Today we're back to our series about the 4H Agricultural Fair. Still lots of stuff to see here.

"Hey, laddie!"  Grandpa Angus called.  "Look at these tractors."

Man.  Those are some big machines, Grandpa. 

"Indeed they are, laddie.  Big and powerful."  Grandpa sighed a bit wistfully.  

Are you okay, Grandpa?

"Sure, laddie.  It's just...I always wanted to have a little farm of me own."

Really?  I didn't know that...

"Oh yes.  Well, maybe someday.  Oh...look over here!"

Wow...a racecar! That's right....this fairground used to be a speedway.  They don't race cars here anymore, but they make a mighty fine display.  Looks like this car has a trophy to its name.


Next up, the Produce tent.  Since I'm a meatatarian, I'm not overly excited about this display, but it's still interesting.  

For instance...why did the bale of hay before me win First Prize, while the bale behind me won Second Prize?  I can't tell the difference.

Grandpa found some really knobby melons.  He said they remind him of his rheumatism.



We found some pumpkins.  That reminds me...Jerry & Ben's pumpkin-carving contest is coming up next month. 

And...oh my goodness.  It's PUMPKINZILLA! 

Just imagine all the doggone pies you could make with this thing! I suspect Sandy Bear's Mama or Grandma might have a good recipe somewhere.

All right, enough fruits and veggies.  What's next?  Find out next time!

 








5 comments:

  1. Cool event. I am surprised they didn't have any displays from small production butcher shops.

    I have to admit I did not know they awarded ribbons for bales of hay of course I am a suburban fox, so judging bales of hay is not in my skill set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I wonder what kind of education one has to have in order to judge hay. Your friend Reindeer may know better.

      And about butcher shops...stay tuned!

      Delete
    2. Cool, can't wait. Apparently, judging hay is a pretty important thing - I am a suburban fox so I can't really comment. By my quick google search I was able to find a ton of sources on how to judge hay. I guess you learn something everyday.

      Delete
  2. Hay ribbons??? Really? Hmm... maybe it was baled differently? I loved the knobbly squash thingies... they are so cute. Are you going to get a pumpkin and do some carving for Jerry & Ben's contest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My human seems wary of letting me handle sharp objects, so pumpkin carving is out this year. I will probably enter the costume contest though.

      Delete